Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Should have been...

recycled or thrown it away!

Saturday was Spring Clean Up day for a neighboring town.  One of the prairies borders this town and they have always been great about taking the dumped trash off the prairies.  The prairie people always pitch in and carry the trash back to the street where front loaders have scooped it up into dump trucks.

One year in particular I remember hundreds of dish soap bottles dumped into the ditch that runs alongside the prairie.  We could really see the difference after gathering all of them into bags.  But why were they there in the first place?

The front loaders have removed beds, refrigerators, bathtubs, car parts; you name it we have probably carried it off the prairies.

I can say though, this year we didn't have a lot of heavy stuff.  One bathtub remains, but we weren't sure how to move it to the street side.  It would be a long haul and we would need to drive over the budding plants.

So my husband and I cleaned behind one of the elementary schools.  The playground borders the prairie.  These suburban children can see nature at its best if they take the time.  Only most don't.
We took 3 extra large garbage bags full of litter off the site.  The usual litter of plastic bottles, grocery bags, chip bags, pizza box, styrofoam dinner containers, juice bags, candy wrappers, straws, glass bottles, assignments, notices to home, and 3 containers of liquid soap were part of our bounty.  It took us about 2 hours to scavenge the area.  My hope is that at least one child will notice the pristine beauty of the prairie because of our efforts.   Yet, we will never know.


8 comments:

  1. I'd like to think at least one child will notice the beauty!

    Why are people leaving bathtubs in the prairie?? And what's with the soap?

    Great slice, Patti! Your story unfolds perfectly. Really leaves me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you leave a bathtub in the prairie? I'll bet many of the children will notice the beauty, especially after it's been all cleaned up. Even more important, you know you've done something good for your town and the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me sad, then mad when I see what people have carelessly dumped alongside the road in the country. You are a blessing to help the environment. Someone will notice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two hours to scavenge and collect the garbage, one thoughtless second to toss the garbage aside or out the window. YES. children may not understand and shake your hand to thank you.. but they WILL enjoy the natural beauty of the prairie. You and your husband gave that right and pleasure back to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that many children will notice.

    This makes me think about when Audrey and I drive a certain way home we see a place with a lot of garbage and she never fails to ask why its there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for doing that! What a blessing! We have a myriad of cottage remains on our highways in the summer. Styrofoam ice chests, life jackets, flipflops, towels, bathing suits, oars, folding chairs, beachballs... People throw them in their boats and trailer them up to their cottage, forgetting that they need to tie things down or stow equipment somewhere safe. Never found a bathtub though!I have made a "found poem"of SOL post titles today and your title is in my poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know. And that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete