Monday, December 9, 2013

Just two inches...

Yesterday two inches of snow drifted down into our lives.  Beautiful, quiet, brightening the winter scape.
Today it is time to clean off the cars, shovel the sidewalk and driveway.  Only to find that the shovels are tucked neatly away in the attic.  No problem, one might think, but it is.  The only access to the attic is on a twelve foot ladder placed on the stairs to the basement.  The ladder is already on the stairs, but I've never actually put it in place, trusted my life without someone else bracing it.  
The person who put the shovels in the attic and would normally fetch them, is in Texas.  
Texas, where they have been housebound 3 days because of an ice storm.  A storm that these Texans have no back up plan, except to wait patiently.  The roads so slick that all the pick-up trucks were fish tailing everywhere.  It is starting to thaw and they might make it to the store today.  Maybe the delivery trucks will make it there first.
I guess I can wait, two inches of snow won't keep me home.

4 comments:

  1. It's all in perspective, isn't it. So happy that we've only gotten a couple of inches of snow instead of all that ice. That would be the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess when someone comes home, you might need a lesson in ladder placement. Who would have thought that there'd be this weather so early in December? I love your beginning lines, a perfect description of the snow in my life too, but we had 8 inches one day and 4 more last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sarcasm dripping from the line about the person who could fetch the ladder is in Texas. It's his fault, not yours! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Be careful on that ladder!! I love how this piece subtly conveys the chaos that the beautiful snow sometimes brings .

    ReplyDelete