In the genes,
Mom said, as a child, her nickname was “Sloppy Liz.” I’d ask her why and she would just
smile. Her mother, Grandma Quick was
very organized and tidy. She was so
organized she had a little memo pad where she kept track of the weather each
day. She had another notebook recording
when the garden was planted, what was planted and when it sprouted. She and Grandpa could decide early on if they
needed to replant. They raised they most
delicious sweet corn and tomatoes. I
have a couple of Grandma’s memo pads and I could tell you all about their
garden for that year. She also wrote on
items when they were purchased. I think it
was to see how long something lasted.
My husband mentioned that when he married me he was
wondering if I would be more like my mother or my grandmother. Neat and tidy or more like “Sloppy Liz.” I asked him, well what did you decide?
In his diplomatic way he mentioned that in a way I’m a lot
like my mom. He commented that we both
cook on top of our cookbooks. A person
can definitely tell which recipes are my favs, the pages start to stick
together. I did solve that problem. I have written several family and friends
cookbooks, gathering all our favorite recipes together. It is time to write the 4th
edition. You guessed it; the pages of
the 3rd edition are starting to stick together. I have several of my Mom’s cookbooks and we
can definitely tell what she liked to cook.
So the jury is still out whether I’m more like my Mom or Grandma Quick. We haven’t even
touched on the Davidson side of the family.
Maybe you're a perfect mixture of both of them. I often say that about Maddie - she seems to have gotten the best parts of both of us. Now, Katie.... she has a bit o' the devil in her....
ReplyDeleteWhen I was reading about your Grandma I was wishing I could be more like that. What a treasure to have her memo pads!
ReplyDelete