My life as a writer…
I didn’t feel very much like a writer today. Instead I thought about what writing I’ve
done throughout my life. In school it
was book reports, science reports and research papers. Never a poem or a short
story. My Mom always proofread my work, (I’m embarrassed to say), edited and revised all
of them for me. I guess she was rescuing
me from bad writing. I was saved from the teacher’s red pens and blunt remarks. I never asked her why and now it’s too late.
Out of school I would write an occasional letter or
card. My history in letter writing
includes a friend writing back and saying that if he had edited my letter it
would have looked like a battle had been fought on the paper. He and I lost touch.
Email has been such a blessing: short, sweet, emoticons and
spell check.
So just the thought of writing and sharing with others, sends chills down my spine.
Why do I try? I
better practice. Don’t hold your breath…
Don't stop writing, please! You've joined a community where no red pens exist! Welcome :-)
ReplyDeleteEach day is a new one! It is interesting to reflect why we have taken a certain route!
ReplyDeleteMy mom corrected my work too. I think that's just how things were done "back then." Now, I advise parents to help find errors, but not to make corrections. They look at me like I'm nuts. How else will kids learn if we're always doing it for them.
ReplyDeleteI hope you'll stick with it and keep writing.
You are so right, we all learn best by doing! Being allowed to make a mistake is such a gift! I think I'm shedding my inhibitions!
DeleteThanks
Yep, the days of the red pen.....I remember them well:-) Isn't this so much better??? Enjoy.....
ReplyDeleteSo much better!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
I have never seen anything but encouragement in the comments. You learn about yourself the more you write. Keep it up, there are readers waiting for your words.
ReplyDeleteOne technical note, be sure you use the same sign in each day :-)
Thanks
ReplyDelete