Saturday, March 9, 2013

What the writing challenge has done for me...


Writer’s notebook

While thinking about my next writing challenge entry, I realized that I’ve been playing with words, creating stories, and writing poems for a long time.  I just didn’t write any of them down.  Oh, I wish I had.  I remember some doozies.  They made me laugh.

Once I did write them down, while flying, sent them to my son, a writer, and just discarded my notes.  I bet he got a chuckle.  “Why is Mom sending me these?”

I pledge to keep paper and pen close by and not miss another opportunity.   Thank you slicers.





The pings are so exciting
Can’t wait to see
What everyone is sharing
With me!





I use to view the world
By camera lens
And now
I’ve added a pen.

7 comments:

  1. I so relate to your words, "I realized that I’ve been playing with words, creating stories, and writing poems for a long time." This is exactly what the challenge did for me last year, my first foray into slicing. Happy slicing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I wonder why it took so long...I just need to be grateful, I've figured it out!

    Thanks, good to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. I have created a private blog for my sister and I to share. I got the idea of using Natalie Goldberg's book OLD FRIEND FROM FAR AWAY: THE PRACTICE OF WRITING MEMOIR as a tool for finding prompts to which we can respond, hopefully sharpening our memories of where we're from and how we got to this time and place in our lives. I got this idea from listening to Patrick Allen speak at a workshop last summer.

    Here is a link to Natalie's book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Old-Friend-Far-Away-Practice/dp/1416535039

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be the exact same way, Patti. When we first started the notebooks, I would "write" an entire piece in my head in the shower, and then stare at the blank page of my notebook.

    I'm glad this challenge is changing you as a writer, in ways both big and small. It's changing me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes have the same experience as dmurph08- I remember one time I came up with a poem in the shower, and there was one part I LOVED. I hurried to get out, and of course promptly forgot it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your commitment to keeping pen and paper handy is a great reminder. I am headed to Australia soon, and I already have my notebook that is small and will easily fit with me for every moment of my trip, picked out and ready to go! Funny enough, it was the first detail of my trip that I had set in stone! Congrats to you on adding words to your photographic documentation of life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to hear that other people create in their heads and forget too. I "write" ideas in my mind in the shower all the time. I'm starting to think I need a dry erase board in there because I rarely remember the good stuff when I step out.

    ReplyDelete