Thursday, March 7, 2013

Monkey picked tea...


Monkey picked tea –

One afternoon, while I trailed along with my daughter at the mall, we stopped in a little shop.  As I walked around I saw a sign describing the best tea as “monkey picked tea.”

As usual my mind took the phrase and ran with it.  “Monkeys,” the clerk said, “They get good health benefits.”  I imagined monkey workers all decked out and picking tea!  I also saw monkeys picking other things off of each other.  No tea for me!

Good ole, Google to the rescue.  Legend has it the monks trained monkeys to climb the trees and pick the best leaves.  Another legend indicates that the monkeys sat in the top most part of the trees and people threw things at them so that the leaves were dropped and floated down to the ground.  All in all, “monkey picked tea” just indicates that it is the best tea with an amazing flavor.  No monkeys involved!  Now, I can drink my tea.

6 comments:

  1. good ole' google... those are interesting legends and a clever stand out for tea...I love learning new things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the poster in the store was so bizarre, it entertained us for quite some time.

      Delete
  2. That's helarious! Tracy's Audrey would love that....check out her post for today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of such a thing!! Hilarious! I'm glad you caved to your curiosity and found out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I see something so outrageous, I just have to figure it out!

      Delete